Modular At-Names

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.com
Tue Oct 16 09:11:00 PDT 2012

Allen Wirfs-Brock wrote:
>> The module vs. let scope is also interesting. Allen said the literature favored the latter but that wasn't clear from my nowhere-near-comprehensive reading.
>>

> Presumably that is a large part of our motivation for providing lexically scoped let/const/function/class rather than the semi-global function scoping.

True for bindings but not clear for private/friend visibility
qualifiers. Other languages do not all block-scope those, more the
reverse: class or package/library scope.

> I believe the main arguments against implicit  declarations are:
>     1) they catch misspelling inconsistencies (but not consistent misspellings)

Good parenthetical point (and one near and dear to my heart, probably
yours too ;-).

>     2) they prevent unintended share via coincidental common name selection

You mean the allow unintended sharing?

Yes, private prefixes and declarations are more powerful. Main questions
I see Kevin raising are usability and overkill. Say we reject "overkill"
for good reason. We may still have usability woes. 'private' is seven
long letters, eight with the space after.