ES transpilers

Claus Reinke claus.reinke at talk21.com
Mon Oct 15 08:51:32 PDT 2012

With ES6 engine compatibility still looking somewhat red

http://kangax.github.com/es5-compat-table/es6/

transpilers are not just a useful way of communicating ES6
development (avoiding surprised audiences later [*]), they also
provide relief for those who keep reading here about new
features that they dearly would like to use.

On top of that, the TypeScript discussion feeds give an early
idea of how JS coders out there are going to react to ES6
features, as well as the kind of tweaking that might be needed
to tune features to practice (or developer expectations to the
realities of features as spec-ed).

I've just updated the "Language extensions" category in the
js-tools mailing list resources

http://clausreinke.github.com/js-tools/resources.html#group:language-extensions

This typically lists transpilers from ES.future to ES.now, including
experimental, under discussion, and agreed on features. I've also
included Mozilla's new macros project, but won't include general
X2JS compilers (there is a separate list for those).

If there are any missing (or outdated) entries, could you please
let me know? Not everyone knows all the projects you may know
about, and it would be good to have them listed in one place.

Thanks,
Claus
http://clausreinke.github.com/

[*] http://www.goodreads.com/quotes/379100-there-s-no-point-in-acting-surprised-about-it-all-the