Function.length and Default Parameters

Claus Reinke claus.reinke at talk21.com
Fri Oct 12 09:44:10 PDT 2012

> Have you found the actual usage of length in node libraries to
> enforce this sort of signature testing?  I was poking around and
> haven't found it.

Side question:  has tc39 tried to contact any of the research groups
that specialize in large-scale repository mining?

Usage questions here are often not answerable with a simple
grep, even though there are lots of JS repositories (github, npm, ..).
One needs repo access, storage and search resources, and
specialized analysis (at least syntax).

Perhaps some research groups would welcome a challenge with
real-world impact, either as specific projects or as a wiki page
with challenges from which research students in those groups
could pick topics to work on.

Usually, those groups mine repo histories, for trends related to
software engineering topics, but their setups might work, or
might be adaptable to, tc39's JS-in-the-real-world usage questions.
Once such a setup is in place, tc39 members might use it directly
to inform language design decisions.

Just a thought,
Claus