Function.length and Default Parameters

Allen Wirfs-Brock allen at wirfs-brock.com
Fri Oct 12 08:53:34 PDT 2012

On Oct 11, 2012, at 8:11 PM, Rick Waldron wrote:

> On Thursday, October 11, 2012 at 7:36 PM, Kevin Smith wrote:
>

>> express for node already does this, for error handlers:
>>
>>     http://expressjs.com/guide.html#error-handling
>>
>> express is very popular; #4 on Most Depended Upon packages; #1 on Most Starred at npm:
>>

>> This is helpful.  So, judgement aside, we can say there is a certain level of usage of Function.length out there for overloading based on a function's "signature".  It seems to me that reporting Function.length as the number of formal parameters, minus rest, will be more appropriate for this use case.
>
> Having trouble finding the resolution, but I'm fairly certain this was discussed and your suggestion here matches consensus

https://mail.mozilla.org/pipermail/es-discuss/2012-June/023277.html

https://mail.mozilla.org/pipermail/es-discuss/2011-August/016361.html
   https://mail.mozilla.org/pipermail/es-discuss/2011-September/016417.html

There was no consensus to change the current ES6 draft specification for function length.

Allen