Modular At-Names

Kevin Smith khs4473 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 11 20:41:08 PDT 2012

Hi all,

ES6 is shaping up quite nicely.  The last big area which I feel is still
quite foggy is syntactic support for symbolic property names, which Allen
has addressed with his at-names proposal.  Perhaps syntax won't make it
into ES6 regardless of the work we do, but I think the symbol "story" isn't
finished until we've got something.

With that in mind, I've created a sketch of an alternative at-name syntax
story.  I've tried to include enough detail to show that it might work, but
not so much that I never finish the sketch : )

The basic idea is that modules implicitly define symbol namespaces.
 Symbols can be imported from other modules, or from a "world" symbol map
which contains interned symbols for the entire execution environment.

Read on: https://gist.github.com/3868131

The actual design sketch follows some initial examples.

Thanks!
Kevin