should we rename the Program grammar production?

Allen Wirfs-Brock allen at wirfs-brock.com
Wed Oct 10 10:42:31 PDT 2012

I'm tarting to work on the global scope/program/module level of the specification.

One of the pieces of awkward ES specification terminology has been the use of the word "Program" as the name for a global top-level StatementList.  A ES "Program" is commonly only a single fragment of what most of us commonly think of as a program.

This terminology mismatch is going to get ever worse as we integrate modules.

Now would be an easy time to change  the specification to eliminate this use of "Program".

I proposed that we replace "Program" in this context with "Script".  This is much less confusing and matches the most common manifestation of an ES Program as an HTML script block.

Objections?

Allen