Symbols, Protocols, Frames, and Versioning

Kevin Smith khs4473 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 5 06:56:27 PDT 2012

> Indeed, which is why I'm not sure I understand what this idea is
> trying to achieve. Is it more than just an ad hoc way to introduce a
> second namespace?

Presumably, so that such a namespace can be used with a
property-name-substitution syntax.

A question: is

    var symbol = new Symbol.for("abcdefg");

really a symbol?  Or is it just a string, masquerading as a symbol?

If we answer that it's just a string, then perhaps instead of extending the
concept of Symbol to include "wrapped" strings, we should extend the
concept of property-name-substitution to include string targets.

Kevin