Ecma 402 (i18n API) v2.0 features list

Norbert Lindenberg ecmascript at norbertlindenberg.com
Wed Oct 3 21:48:21 PDT 2012

The core problem for a ResourceBundle-style solution, as one expert noted many years ago, is that "ECMAScript also has no I/O facilities, so there's no standard way of getting UI elements out of an external file." [1]

JavaScript libraries that do have access to I/O facilities (XMLHttpRequest, <script> tags, ...) have implemented a variety of solutions. For ECMAScript, the ES6 module system offers a way to dynamically load extensions; Allen and I have chatted about using that for resource loading, but it's not clear yet what that would look like.

It's certainly a topic worth talking about on Friday.

Norbert

[1] http://icu-project.org/docs/papers/internationalization_support_for_javascript.html#h21