Symbols, Protocols, Frames, and Versioning

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.com
Thu Oct 4 14:28:53 PDT 2012

Not a mutable store. The interned symbols table is.

Can we get back to the somewhat pressing problem of @iterator vs.
'iterator' vs. Symbol.intern('iterator')? Firefox implements 'iterator'
currently, happy to change, no need to rush, but the trade-offs are
pretty clear.

Kevin Smith pointed out the problem for libraries trying to work
cross-frame and cross-version. Tab was +1 on Symbol.intern. I am too,
since the conflict between unique symbols and cross-frame singleston
symbols is irreducible. The alternative of a singleton module shared
among several realms is unproposed, unclear, and overkill for the
@iterator-cross-frame problem.

Anyone have a better idea?

/be