Symbols, Protocols, Frames, and Versioning

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.com
Thu Oct 4 11:29:12 PDT 2012

Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
> It might be useful to expose this functionality with a more obvious
> name, to underscore that you lose the secrecy/unforgability.
> Symbol.public()?

We are mooting public as the keyword for non-private but unique symbols,
so that's ambiguous. ReallyPublic? :-P We want to capture the singleton
sharing, and 'intern' is the jargon word to use. For the
jargon-disabled, I'm not sure what to use, but perhaps teaching people
about intern'ing is better than using some long Java-esque name.