Symbols, Protocols, Frames, and Versioning

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.com
Thu Oct 4 08:27:17 PDT 2012

Tom Van Cutsem wrote:
> 2012/10/4 Brendan Eich <brendan at mozilla.org <mailto:brendan at mozilla.org>>
>

>     I don't think we've had a proposal yet for singleton modules per
>     set of connected realms. Possibly I missed it (something is
>     tickling a memory but I can't find a ref). It could be good!
>

> This might have been the post that tickled your memory:
> <https://mail.mozilla.org/pipermail/es-discuss/2012-September/024946.html>

Yes, thanks.

> But this was about singleton module instances per loader context. Not
> sure if "loader context" coincides with "set of connected realms" though.

AFAIK there's no facility for loading or finding already loaded a
singleton module per connected set of realms.

If there were, it could be good for public symbol usage cross-realm as
Kevin points out. It could also make a nasty channel among realms (IIRC
the navigator object in some browsers can act like that, or perhaps only
within a navigation history of one realm with multiple inner window
objects and one WindowProxy public global).

Dave Herman mentioned another idea: intern'ing strings as symbols. You'd
lose uniqueness but avoid colliding with any string. So

   public @iterator = Symbol.intern('iterator');

Is this much better than just using 'iterator' or dunder-iterator?

/be