Early error vs. error on first call to function vs. runtime error

François REMY fremycompany_pub at yahoo.fr
Wed Oct 3 11:07:20 PDT 2012

> one might consider a <script provide> with parse-on-use semantics

Sounds like yet another "use strict" to me. Experience tells that this is
not working very well. Either an optimization is worth and is enforced by
default, or it isn't used in most cases. Asking the developer to mark his
code with tons of "attributes" to enable all the optimizations is
cumbersome... At some point, we'll have to specify something like this to
have an optimized code <script async lazy enforce-types
enforce-tail-recursion ...>[[   "use strict;" ...    ]]</script>.