Sets plus JSON

Nicholas C. Zakas standards at nczconsulting.com
Wed Oct 3 09:37:10 PDT 2012

After a little more experimenting with sets (still a really big fan!!),
I've come across an interesting problem. Basically, I found myself using
a set and then wanting to convert that into JSON for storage.
JSON.stringify() run on a set returns "{}", because it's an object
without any enumerable properties. I'm wondering if that's the correct
behavior because a set is really more like an array than it is an
object, and perhaps it would be best to define a toJSON() method for
sets such as:

Set.prototype.toJSON = function() {
     return Array.from(this);
};

That way, JSON.stringify() would do something rational by default when
used with sets.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Nicholas