Must built-in prototypes also be valid instances? (Was: Why DataView.prototype object's [[Class]] is "Object"?)

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.com
Mon Oct 1 21:56:54 PDT 2012

Allen Wirfs-Brock wrote:
> We can try to tell ES implementors that they must do certain things in order to be in conformance but that really doesn't work for code written by users of the language.

You're right, we'd be letting usercode, not just some (benign or malign,
but if malign then game over already) host object, spoof a core language
built-in.

But if we have a solid branding mechanism (like Domado's ideal in latest
browsers? ;-) then that should be used universally and this becomes a
don't-care.