typeof symbol (Was: Sept 19 TC39 Meeting Notes)

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.com
Mon Oct 1 12:43:50 PDT 2012

It's a mistake to mix up the two-level distinction in JS, though.
Backward compatibility and the ==/=== invariant require typeof to
classify a certain way that cannot capture instanceof. You can't fold
the two into one.

My position remains that we should leave instanceof alone and extend
typeof where the relations we want to preserve require it.

/be