Must built-in prototypes also be valid instances? (Was: Why DataView.prototype object's [[Class]] is "Object"?)

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.com
Mon Oct 1 12:23:40 PDT 2012

Nah, cheap shot. Let's reason together, not join taboo words.

The built-ins do what they do and it could be considered a botch to
abandon, but then there's still a scar lying between old and new
built-ins. And classes have to do one or both (we may want to self-host
built-ins with classes).

Thus the quest (not mine alone) to make it unobservable whether the
builtin constructor's prototype is a degenerate firstborn or a
dressed-up Object instance.

/be