Default value argument for Map/WeakMap.prototype.get()

Andrea Giammarchi andrea.giammarchi at gmail.com
Wed Nov 28 13:16:36 PST 2012

has is another story and your functions will fail.
I have provided already this example which is perfectly valid:

var m = new Map;
m.set(m, undefined);
m.has(m); // true

all you need in JS, which is not Python, is the ||

m.get(key) || defaultValue

which is the most common case, as you wrote, for maps.

I strongly doubt you gonna store false, empty strings, or null as values,
right?

It's funny I am the first one shouting that

obj.prop = obj.prop || defaultValue

is not a good pattern but here you want a better one for Map.prototype

It's also funny I have already implemented that and it is not me pushing
back so ... I actually don't get anything you said or what you think I
wrote :-/

br