The ES6 MOP (Was: New ES6 draft now available)

Tom Van Cutsem tomvc.be at gmail.com
Mon Nov 26 10:00:02 PST 2012

> I see that [2] call for filtering __proto__ access in Get/Put handlers.
> I think that dealing with it in a Get/SetInheritance handler would be a
> much more efficient way to hand this extremely rare operation.  Rather than
> filtering for it on every property access, an handler that cares only needs
> to worry about the actual Get/SetInhertiance.

Hmm, so you're arguing that proxy.__proto__ would be equivalent to
Object.getPrototypeOf(proxy), and trigger the "getPrototypeOf" trap, rather
than triggering the "get" trap?

I guess that more accurately reflects the magical behavior of __proto__.

Paradoxically, this will move the filter check into the proxy
implementation itself, to properly intercept proxy["__proto__"]. On first
sight, this seems to introduce more overhead.

Cheers,
Tom