possible excessive proxy invariants for Object.keys/etc??

Dean Tribble dtribble at gmail.com
Sat Nov 24 18:49:03 PST 2012

I am looking forward to proxies in JavaScript, and had a thought on the
issues below.  You could extend the the "direct proxy" approach for this.

When the Proxy receives getOwnPropertyNames, it
1) notifies the handler that property names are being requested
2) the handler adds/removes any properties (configurable or otherwise
subject to the normal constraints) on the target
3) upon return, the proxy invokes getOwnPropertyNames directly on the
target (e..g, invoking the *normal *system primitive)

This approach appears to have consistent behavior for configurability and
extensibility. For example, the trap operation above could add configurable
properties to an extensible target, and remove them later.  It could add
non-configurable properties, but they are permanent once added, etc. Thus
there's no loss of generality.  In addition to optionally setting up
properties on the target, the handler trap above would need to indicate to
the proxy (via exception or boolean result) that the getOwnPropertyNames
operation should proceed ahead or fail.

This extension of the "direct proxy" approach applies to all query
operations, eliminates the copying and validation overhead discussed below,
simplifies the implementation, retains full backwards compatibility, and
enables most if not all the expressiveness we might expect for proxies.

Dean