New ES6 draft now available

Herby Vojčík herby at mailbox.sk
Sat Nov 24 06:23:06 PST 2012

David Bruant wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I haven't been following very closely some of the most recent
> discussions, so I appologize if my comments have been addressed already
>
> Le 23/11/2012 18:48, Allen Wirfs-Brock a écrit :
>> Changes include:
>>
>> • MOP changes: Added [[GetInheritance]]/[[SetInheritance]] as internal
>> methods for accessing [[Prototype]] internal prototype chain.
> Why not [[GetPrototype]] and [[SetPrototype]]? We have a absurd number
> of excellent resources (including but not limited to Dmitry Soshnikov
> and Axel Rauschmayer's websites/blogs) which use extensively the ES5
> internal [[Prototype]]. It's also been very hard to get people to
> understand the difference between .prototype and [[Prototype]]. I'm
> afraid a new change would create a lot of confusion.

Neither of them is prototype, so the naming is unhappy. It is good that
renaming is happening. And [[Prototype]] is imo worse of the two (the
second being .prototype), so I welcome the fact that the operations were
named as such. I hope the next step is to rename [[Prototype]] itself to
[[Inheritance]]. Fair share of uses of [[Prototype]] were deleted in
this change, and from those that left the most are in Chapter 15 where
they are used mechanically to spec builtins.

> David

Herby