Do we really need the [[HasOwnProperty]] internal method andhasOwn trap

Claus Reinke claus.reinke at talk21.com
Mon Nov 19 07:35:18 PST 2012

> On 19 November 2012 13:04, David Bruant <bruant.d at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I wish to point out a little thought on the topic of memory management. As
>> far as I know, all GC algorithms I'm aware of are runtime algorithms,
>> meaning that the primitives of these algorithms are objects and references
>> between objects. I have never heard of memory management system that
>> would take advantage of source code informations to not allocate memory
>> if it's proven to be unused after allocation (or allocate less if it's proven only
>> part will be used).
>> Is it a stupid idea? Too much effort? The conjonctions of 2 research areas
>> where people usually don't talk to one another?
>
> Search for "region inference" or "region-based memory management". Was
> a hot topic in the late 90s, but ultimately the cost/benefit ratio
> turned out to be not so clear.

Also "compile-time garbage collection" or "compile-time memory
management". Then there is the whole area of "linear types" or
"uniqueness types", which allow for in-place updating (reusing
memory) without observable side-effects when absence of other
references can be proven statically. Perhaps also "fusion", which
avoids the allocation of intermediate structures, when it can be
proven statically that construction will be followed immediately
by deconstruction.

Claus