"no strict"; directive

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.com
Thu Nov 15 16:40:08 PST 2012

Andrea Giammarchi wrote:
> Said that, I would rather force removal of "use strict" 'cause if
> there is explicit desire from the developer. Isn't it?

What do you mean? "use strict" is not going away. It is used by some
developers. I had a show of hands at JSConf.au, definitely a minority
but significant.

You are barking up the wrong tree. And Angus's abuses of 'with' are
unjustified. Yes, "be water". Yes, masters may break rules students must
follow. None of that philosophizing justifies 'with' abusage or
repealing/undoing "use strict".