"no strict"; directive

Oliver Hunt oliver at apple.com
Thu Nov 15 12:10:32 PST 2012

On Nov 15, 2012, at 11:58 AM, Andrea Giammarchi <andrea.giammarchi at gmail.com> wrote:

> my typo ... I am NOT talking about callee, I am talking about caller which is NOT a misfeature specially when it comes to debug and stack trace.

The solution to debugging is to use a debugger, not to try and debug from within the language.

All modern JS engines provide a) a debugger and b) stack traces on exceptions.

Even if they weren't .caller is insufficient: it can't walk over strict, native, or global code that exists in the call stack, so at best you only get a crappy result.

Like I said in my prior email: If you're willing to toss out the improvements of strict mode just to get arguments.caller, you may as well stop using it in the first place.

--Oliver