Array.filter: max number of matches?

Alex Vincent ajvincent at gmail.com
Mon Nov 12 18:07:01 PST 2012

I've been wondering for a while if it would be a good idea to add an
argument to Array.prototype.filter, for a maximum number of matches.  For
example, if I have a thousand-element array and I only want three matches,
it might make sense to truncate the search after the third match.

Put another way:  if I want an intersection between two arrays treated as
sets, and one array has only three members, then once I've found matches
for those three, it really doesn't make sense to keep iterating.

Thoughts, anyone?

-- Alexander J. Vincent, June 30, 2001