Promises

Domenic Denicola domenic at domenicdenicola.com
Tue Nov 6 10:59:36 PST 2012

I guess now is a good a time as any to pre-announce Promises/A+:

https://github.com/promises-aplus/promises-spec

It’s an attempt to improve significantly on the minimal-but-perhaps-too-minimal Promises/A of CommonJS, making the language more rigorous and speccing several important things Promises/A missed. Here’s a short summary of the differences:

https://github.com/promises-aplus/promises-spec/issues/17

The two most important ones, in my opinion, are:

  *
 Cover the case of handlers returning a promise (chaining)
  *
Require asynchronous resolution

Promises/A+ is a collaborative effort led by Brian Cavalier (when.js) with help from myself and Kris Kowal (Q), as well as Yehuda Katz (rsvp.js, TC39) and others with whom I am less personally familiar with but have also been very helpful.

---

I say “pre-announce” because there are a number of bookkeeping issues we want to take care of before saying it’s truly done:

https://github.com/promises-aplus/promises-spec/issues

But everything important is already in the repo. We also have a (again, preliminary) conformance test suite at

https://github.com/promises-aplus/promises-tests

---

I hope this is helpful to TC39 or others considering promise standardization. My ideal vision is that the community experiments with promises + generators (a la taskjs) in the ES6 timeframe, then in ES7 we standardize on something like the concurrency strawman or a C#-like async/await pattern based on promises.

We welcome feedback from TC39 and others, preferably as GitHub issues in the repo (and thus we can avoid derailing this thread). We’d especially love the eyes of spec-experienced folks such as those that frequent this list.