thoughts the (re)organization of the specification?

Norbert Lindenberg ecmascript at norbertlindenberg.com
Fri Nov 2 21:33:52 PDT 2012

On Nov 2, 2012, at 23:08 , Allen Wirfs-Brock wrote:

> I'm now looking at the work to implement the refactoring of the  internal methods in section 8 and I see we are probably going to loose even more of the section number correspondence with previous editions.  This tempts me to seize the moment, abandon the legacy organization, and reorganize in a more logical manner.

Yes, please.

> The ECMAScript Standard Library (15)
>         [potentially some reordering and reorganization]

I'd suggest:

- Break it up into separate chapters for each of the current second-level sections, plus one for general requirements for all standard built-ins (the currently unnumbered introduction). Given the size of the ES6 spec, we may want to produce a multi-part HTML version and/or an ePub version for tablets, and for both a single chapter containing half the spec would be hard to digest.

- Reorganize the method lists from sediment layers back into some logical structure.

Norbert