Array.prototype.contains

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.org
Fri Nov 2 16:57:14 PDT 2012

Andrea Giammarchi wrote:
> I actually agree on this, but Set.has() is misleading then, imho.
> Shouldn't be specified that `has()` is key related and `contains()` is
> value related?

The forEach signature has (value, key, collection), and for a Set is
called with (value, value, theSet). We discussed this at the Boston f2f
and recently on list. It allows us to extend Sets in the future (under
object model reformation, e.g.) to map value to boolean has-result.

Apart from the Set special case, using contains for values and has for
keys seems better and better to me. But that means
String.prototype.contains, not has. The test is for values, not keys, in
that case. Same thing with Array.prototype.contains (and MooTools must
adapt).

/be