Array.prototype.contains

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.org
Fri Nov 2 16:54:50 PDT 2012

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4962361/where-is-javas-array-indexof

> they are named the same and appear to have signatures.  But they
> logically are doing quite different things.  String indexOf is looking
> for the index of the first element of a subsequence of character
> elements that matches a specific character sequence.  Array indexOf is
> looking for the index of a single element that contains a specific
> value.  You might want to implement a logically similar subsequence
> search for Array's but if you do, you can't call it indexOf because
> that name was already used for something with different semantics.  We
> should try to do better as people for our example.

That one never bugged me, and I suppose one could "fix" it by allowing
by-value search for a sub-array from Array.prototype.indexOf. I've never
seen anyone do that.

"has" for keys (and possibly values of a Set, to preserve the value
mapped to boolean future option that forEach also supports), "contains"
for values in arrays?