WeakMap and primitive keys

Nathan Wall nathan.wall at live.com
Thu Nov 1 09:05:02 PDT 2012

Looking at the recent draft, I noticed that the WeakMap methods accept primitive keys, converting them to objects, and acting like an object was passed in. This differs from the current behavior of Chrome and Firefox, which both throw if key is not an object. It seems, as the current draft reads, passing in a primitive will fail silently, since weakmap.set(3, 'some value'); weakmap.get(3); will be undefined. Is this a bug in the draft or was it decided not to throw in these situations (or am I misunderstanding the draft)?