typeof null

John J Barton johnjbarton at johnjbarton.com
Tue May 8 18:31:46 PDT 2012

On Tue, May 8, 2012 at 6:07 PM, Brendan Eich <brendan at mozilla.org> wrote:
> Object class reflection is frowned upon in Smalltalk for a reason. We want
> protocols, structural conventions -- not nominal type tags. Or so I think!

Perhaps it would be helpful if someone made the case for typeof null
=== 'null'.

To me typeof null === 'object' is fine. It makes null a value in the
space of 'object'. In practice I see 'null' used to mean "I know this
reference (usually an argument) should be an object; I want to pass
nothing but signal that I really did mean to pass nothing." The status
quo allows this and it seems enough work for null to do for us.

Are there new things I can do if I now have a new answer to the
'typeof' question?

jjb