arrow function syntax simplified

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.com
Tue Mar 27 16:50:32 PDT 2012

Luke Hoban wrote:
> The future hostility concern doesn't seem so serious as to kill this proposal - especially relative to the value of simple short function syntax.  The future hostility would only seem to come in if we introduced new object literal syntax which was truly ambiguous with blocks.

That was proposed for ES6, and while the particular proposal was
withdrawn (the ~, !, and other prefixes on property names in object
literals), the general issue is freedom in the future to extend object
literal syntax in a way that is ambiguous with block syntax.

Right now, because a { at start of statement must be the start of a
block, there's no new hardship and only the long-standing (ES3 era)
one-token lookahead restriction.

Adding new restrictions, IIRC, did not fare well last year at a TC39
meeting. I can't find a record in the notes about this other than

https://mail.mozilla.org/pipermail/es-discuss/2011-May/014758.html

Cc'ing Waldemar.

>    My understanding is that that is very unlikely, and not the primary future hostility concern - is that right?
I think it's the only hostility concern.

>    If the new syntax does not have true ambiguities, it can be addressed in the future by expanding lookahead if needed.  Perhaps there is a concrete syntactic extension that has caused concern?
Adding lookahead is risky because of ASI and regular expression vs.
division "/" modality. I haven't worked through all the issues myself,
and that is one reason I simplified arrow function syntax today.

> Alternatively - resolving the ambiguity in favor of the block body feels acceptable if it keeps the proposal simple in other key ways.

TC39 members rejected this approach. An expression-bodied short function
should admit the entire expression being an object literal, no extra
parentheses required. Doug was quite outspoken on this point.