Finding a "safety syntax" for classes

Russell Leggett russell.leggett at gmail.com
Mon Mar 26 12:29:55 PDT 2012

> Finally, regarding:

> of the 'constructor' method but does not define the constructor function

> many JS programs don't follow. If a JS program has some reason to use
> 'constructor' for a different purpose, trust them.
> >>
> >> I believe the constructor idiom is most commonly not followed today
> when the prototype property of a function is set to a new object (perhaps
> defined using an object literal) and correctly dynamically setting the
> "constructor" property is an extra step that is easily forgotten (an
> usually as no ill-effects)
>
> I really don't like d) very much at all.  I think one of the advantages
> that use of class declaration can offer  is a higher integrity
> implementation of the latent ES class model.   In particular, it could more
> strongly enforce the <ctor>.prototype === <ctor>.prototype.constructor
> invariant.  I don't think a class declaration should be allowed to set the
> prototype's constructor property to anything other than the actual class
> object (ie constructor function). It also should make <ctor>.prototype
> writable:false and configurable: false, just like is done for all of the
> chapter 15 constructors. In addition, I suggest that we should go one step
> further and also make <ctor>.prototype.constructor writable:false and
> configurable: false.  It isn't clear to me why ES1 chapter 15 made all
> <ctor>.prototype ReadOnly/DontDelete but didn't do the same for chapter 15
> <ctor>.prototype.constructor properties.)Allen

+1

This is actually one of the reasons I still come down on constructor over
new - I'd really like to discourage screwing around
with <ctor>.prototype.constructor. That always felt like a major wart IMO.
Making it ReadOnly/DontDelete would be icing on the cake. Not sure if we
can squeeze it into max/min, but I like it. Classes are a leaky
abstraction, as you said, but I think the major gain is making it easy to
do things the right way, even if we don't really add much functionality.

- Russ