Recording design rationales?

Axel Rauschmayer axel at rauschma.de
Sun Mar 25 21:21:37 PDT 2012

On Mar 26, 2012, at 3:07 , David Herman wrote:

>> To be sure that would be yet more work (which should be done by the proposal authors, I guess), so I’m not sure it’s worth it, but it would be a great resource for educating the masses.
>
> I hope to do this as much as possible, but it's the kind of thing that makes more sense to do when the dust settles, at least in any given area. Otherwise you end up wasting time polishing things that are about to change anyway. And as we go along I do try to state publicly any important rationale that needs to be explained in order to justify the decisions made. But design at the scale of a language covers an unimaginably huge space of alternatives, so it's just not always feasible to capture all the micro- and macro-decisions in real time and in a polished form.

Agree 100%. Writing this down too early would be inefficient. Once the ECMA-262 draft stabiles it could be a bit like its shadow document.

Brendan’s idea of a Markdown wiki sounds right, too. It doesn’t have to have even close to the same polish as ECMA-262.

--
Dr. Axel Rauschmayer
axel at rauschma.de

home: rauschma.de