RegExps in array functions

Adam Shannon adam at ashannon.us
Fri Mar 23 17:29:29 PDT 2012

I'd opt for a solution like that it's a lot clearer than overloading
collection functions.

On Friday, March 23, 2012, Domenic Denicola <domenic at domenicdenicola.com>
wrote:
> Does passing /foo/i.test not work? (Away from computer.) Perhaps it
should, if it doesn't?

> On Mar 23, 2012, at 16:28, "Felix Böhm" <esdiscuss at feedic.com> wrote:
>
> Hi guys,
> just a first try for a proposal: Array.prototype.[filter/some/every]
currently require a function as an argument. Most of the time, everything I
want to do is check if they match a certain pattern. So what I end up
writing is a RegExp that matches the pattern, and calling its test() method
for every member of the array.
> My proposal is to allow people to use a regular expression as an argument
for the three methods. Current implementations throw an error when they
don't get a function as an argument, so this won't break any (working) code.
> An example:
> ["fOo","bAr"].filter(function(elem){ return /foo/i.test(elem); });
> should be replaceable with
> ["fOo","bAr"].filter(/foo/i);
> For non-string members of the array, the current behavior of the
RegExp.prototype.test method (ie. converting the value to a string) applies.
> Any reasons why this is a bad idea? (Or is it just my bad attitude? :D )

Adam Shannon
Developer
University of Northern Iowa
Sophomore -- Computer Science B.S. & Mathematics
http://ashannon.us