Using Object Literals as Classes

Herby Vojčík herby at mailbox.sk
Sat Mar 17 13:20:00 PDT 2012

Allen Wirfs-Brock wrote:

>>> You mean ditching function RHS completely or just not having it to specially treat LHS being function as well?
>> Neither. Currently,<| sets the [[prototype]] field of the RHS object,
>> and -if the RHS is a function literal- also specifies the [[prototype]]
>> field of objects generated from it. I suggest to remove that special
>> case for function RHS.

> (function () {}) creates two object, not one. We have to set the
> [[Prototype]] of both objects to something.  In deciding how to do
> this it is important to look at the role of each  member of that
> object pair.  The existing language defines a relationship between
> them that we need to respect.  We also need to consider what is going
> to be least surprising to users given the most common usage
> patterns.
>
> Consider
>
> let F1 = function() {}; F1.foo = "foo"; F1.prototype.bar = "bar"
>
> let F2 = Fi<| function() {};
>
> will a ES programmer expect F2.foo be be "foo" or undefined.
> Understanding that<| defines the [[Prototype]] of the the function
> they should expect "foo".
>
> What about (new F2).bar will they expect "bar" or undefined. This is
> probably not something that they have thought about before, but I'm
> pretty confident that they will be astonished if they get undefined
> instead of "bar"
>
> This has nothing to do with classes.  It is just basic prototypal
> inheritance and the semantics of the new operator and function
> expressions.

Well, seems convincing... but nevertheless, I see it as a strange
special case... maybe good example is "bare"

   function foo () {}

How would you write it using <| ?

If you do

   Function <| function foo () {} // [[Prototype]] set right

you get wrong prototype.[[Prototype]]. If you write

   Object <| function foo () {} // prototype.[[Prototype]] set right

you get wrong [[Prototype]].

So it _has_ to do a lot with classes... anything taking 'new foo' into
account is taking classes into account.

That's why I think <| should not set prototype.[[Prototype]] at all.
Plain functions then can be written

   Function <| function foo () {} // *

and double chain (classical class inheritance) can be provided by
different syntax, for example one I hinted:

   function Bar () extends Baz {}

> Allen

Herby

* I know there is no real point in writing bare constructor functions
using <| at all - but it illustrates for me the problem - it cannot
embrace this trivial scenario, so ... it hints it may be problematic.