usable enough private names (was: Re: Using Object Literals as Classes)

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.org
Sat Mar 17 00:14:07 PDT 2012

Axel Rauschmayer wrote:
> private x,y; is syntactically tricky inside an object initializer. The previous consensus was to use
>       private { x, y }

I don't like object literal syntax, it takes over like a weed. If
classes are worth adding with higher-level (but still desugarable)
semantics per yard of syntax, as I think Kevin's blog post in part
argues for, then I continue to believe they'll need bespoke body-syntax
-- neither object literal nor function (code).

Definitely we want sugar for

   const x = Name.create(), y = Name.create();

I don't see why, given the right class body syntax, that sugar could not be

   private x, y;

The old-ES4/JS2 idea of using {} for arbitrary distribution of a keyword
over a list of declarators, as an alternative to C++ labeled sections,
is not obviously needed. My fork of jashkenas's gist tried it out but
I'm cool on it now.

/be