Class declarations

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.org
Fri Mar 16 14:52:22 PDT 2012

See https://gist.github.com/1329619 lines 59-73.

> You say no brand new idea has chance to get in, since it is not known
> what it brings in the future? I am kind of person that believes in
> crazy (read: really different) ideas can push things through... but
> nevertheless, what did you mean more exactly by this paragraph?

Classes "as sugar" were first proposed at the "Harmony" meeting in Oslo,
July 2008:

https://mail.mozilla.org/pipermail/es-discuss/2008-August/003400.html

Desugaring to existing JS syntax and semantics is good, it ensures
library interop and eases compilation (trans-compilation), it avoids
risk taken on in inventing new kernel semantics (we are way past the
cut-off point for ES6). Successful language designers are conservative
even when making radical founding design decisions.

We could certainly add a great many novelties to classes:
use-before-definition errors for instance variables, separate instance
variables distinct from properties, etc. etc. TC39 prefers to avoid such
innovations. This doesn't mean we won't in due course add any such thing
but we won't do it in a big bad "scenario-solving" rush for classes.

/be