optional "function" keyword

Gavin Barraclough barraclough at apple.com
Wed Mar 7 13:01:11 PST 2012

On Mar 7, 2012, at 11:54 AM, Brendan Eich wrote:
> The obvious workaround: parenthesize. This is arguably small potatoes given parameter default values being new.
>
>> Using '|' to wrap arguments is problematic, given its existing usage within the language.  There is a real advantages to a proposal that wrap arguments in parentheses, such as "optional function" based ones on this thread.
> But (modulo separate "do" TCP proposal of yesterday) shorter function syntax is just syntax. No TCP, no lexical |this| in particular.
>
> Just replying to try to assign weights. The | vs. pdv issue is small IMHO. The incommensurate nature of block-lambdas vs. shorter functions hangs on TCP, which is big (bigger, anyway).

You're absolutely right that the semantics are a more weighty issue, and should be the primary concern.  We do also need to discuss the syntax too, and I think it's worthwhile highlighting a concrete advantage of Dave's "do" proposal (or the arrow function syntax strawman) over the syntax in the block lambda strawman.

cheers,
G.