[[strawman:data_parallelism]] |this| and fat arrows

Mark S. Miller erights at google.com
Fri Jun 15 15:06:29 PDT 2012

On Fri, Jun 15, 2012 at 11:35 PM, Hudson, Rick <rick.hudson at intel.com> wrote:
> Hey Mark,
> ParallelArray and index are left out because of our desire to provide a few good methods that help/force programmers to think about parallel algorithms and not just speeding up sequential algorithms. Array map is really just syntactic sugar for for loops and invites thinking that depends on order. For ParallelArray map we felt that the value was the semantically important thing and the user should not be distracted by the index. Not having index available is one step towards thinking in more parallel ways.

Hi Rick, the claim made in the paragraph above seems to be the core
argument. I respect the kind of argument you're making -- programmer
psychology is important, and it is our responsibility as language
designers to take it into account, and to help steer programmers
towards certain ways of thinking about the problem and away from
others. Sometimes these psychological issues have no corresponding
formal basis, but are still important nevertheless. Arguments by
non-psychologists like us about psychology can often be fuzzy, but
this does not relieve us of responsibility of taking these into
account.

However, I don't have any intuition that supports the specific claim.
Let's take "map" specifically. How/why might including index and the
array itself distract the programmer from parallel thinking? First, do
we agree that there's no formal problem, and the issue is only
psychology? If so, perhaps you could provide some examples that would
help illustrate the psychological issue you have in mind? At this
point, I just don't get it.

--
    Cheers,
    --MarkM