Error stack

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.org
Sat Jun 9 12:26:52 PDT 2012

Charles Kendrick wrote:
>>> Erik how do you reconcile this with the fact that this information can
>>> already be obtained in most production browsers via stack walking?
>> Stack walking is not available in strict functions.
>
> Interesting, but it doesn't speak against programmatic access to the
> call stack.

But you wrote "how do you reconcile" and Erik answered. We do not want a
non-debugger API that works only some of the time. Debuggers, in
contrast, must be able to pierce the veil of "use strict".

Erik's proposal is for the string-valued .stack property.

A debugger API is further off from standardization. Mozilla has a new one:

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKIkOcuVG7w

https://wiki.mozilla.org/JSInspector
https://wiki.mozilla.org/Remote_Debugging_Protocol
https://wiki.mozilla.org/DevTools/Features/Debugger/Notes