XML validation against XSD schema

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.org
Fri Jun 8 08:21:35 PDT 2012

David Bruant wrote:
> From a web dev perspective, I don't think XML would have been worse or
> better. People would have created an ecosystem of tools to work around
> the existing technologies. This is what happened with the DOM. This is
> what's happening with HTML and all the templating frameworks popping
> up recently. This is what's happening with CSS and CSS preprocessors,
> etc.

You are forgetting a couple of crucial facts:

1. XML yellow screen of death. HTML has error recovery standardized
(de-facto prior to HTML5), tolerates recurrent patterns of human error
nesting tags, etc. XML does not. We can debate whether tools would help,
but see next item.

2. IE loaded the commonly-typed XHTML of the day, text/xhtml, using its
error-correcting parser, not a strict and stringent XML parser, and IE
had dominant market share (85-90%).

The two in combination meant there was no way XML as practiced on the
web (you could find it then and still can) would validate.