July 25, 2012 - TC39 Meeting Notes

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.org
Tue Jul 31 12:28:53 PDT 2012

David Bruant wrote:
> That's what the spec says, but V8 has implemented something else (and I
> haven't seen an intention to change this behavior), so what the spec
> says doesn't really matter.

I missed this until Allen's reply called it out. It is both false
(Google people at the TC39 meeting last week said it's a V8 bug that is
going to be fixed), and a stinky statement of anti-realpolitik. In the
current market, if we don't hew to a consensus standard, anything goes.

Not that everyone would make breaking changes, or any changes, just that
from the presence of a bug or long-standing deviation (in this case
copied from JavaScriptCore, which has since fixed the deviation!) does
*not* mean that "what the spec says doesn't really matter."

Or were you snarking at V8?