July 25, 2012 - TC39 Meeting Notes

Allen Wirfs-Brock allen at wirfs-brock.com
Tue Jul 31 11:07:26 PDT 2012

The following was WRT [[Put]]/[[CanPut]] semantic issues:

On Jul 28, 2012, at 6:02 AM, David Bruant wrote:

> Le 28/07/2012 14:37, Herby Vojčík a écrit :
>> :-/ But that is how it is, no?
> That's what the spec says, but V8 has implemented something else (and I
> haven't seen an intention to change this behavior), so what the spec
> says doesn't really matter.
>
> David

I have to disagree with David's sentiments here. Situations like this is exactly why we have standardized specifications. Different implementors can easily have differing interpretations about the edge case semantics of loosely described features. An important role of standards is to align implementations on a common semantics. Sure, an implementation can refuse to go along with the specification but that is quite rare, at least for ECMAScript where all major implementations seem to recognize the importance of interoperability. In particular, I haven't seen any indication that V8, as a matter of policy, is refusing to ever correct this deviations.

It's true that what the spec. says makes no difference to the browser bits that have already been shipped.  It does make a difference over the long term.  Single implementation deviations from the specification usually get fixed eventually. Conformance to the specs. is a motivator for implementors.

We really shouldn't foster the meme that  specs don't really matter.  they matter a lot.

Allen