ES Modules: suggestions for improvement

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.org
Tue Jul 24 14:11:38 PDT 2012

Sam Tobin-Hochstadt wrote:
> But I don't think we should ban people from
> using `import *` because sometimes it's hard to reason about.

Just to focus on import *, here's where I am:

I'm in favor of deferring (not to say cutting) import *, in order to get
ES6 modules spec'ed and avoid protracted maybe-good/maybe-bad arguments.

If someone prototyping or REPL'ing feels the pain, they should wail in
agony. Enough wailing and we'll figure out something for their use case
-- but not on the critical path for ES6.