On __proto__ as a magical data property

Tom Van Cutsem tomvc.be at gmail.com
Thu Jul 19 00:18:04 PDT 2012

2012/7/18 Jason Orendorff <jason.orendorff at gmail.com>

> On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 3:28 PM, Brendan Eich <brendan at mozilla.org> wrote:
> > Your suggestion of the setter checking that the receiving object inherit
> the
> > built-in __proto__ before actually doing the "set" is interesting, but it
> > seems to me that it means every set does a proxy-observable "has"
> operation.
> > That's not something we do today -- maybe it's ok to add it -- but it is
> > also overhead and opportunity for mischief. Or did you have a thought on
> how
> > to silently probe for the property descriptor?
>
> Yes, there's actually a nice answer for this. Consider:
>
>     // Applying __proto__ setter directly to a proxy
>     var proto_prop =
>       Object.getOwnPropertyDescriptor(Object.prototype, "__proto__");
>     proto_prop.set.call(proxy, {});
>
>     // Applying a DOM getter directly to a proxy
>     var nodeType_prop =
>       Object.getOwnPropertyDescriptor(Node.prototype, "nodeType");
>     nodeType_prop.get.call(proxy);
>
> The nodeType getter is non-generic; it only works on Nodes. The
> __proto__ setter should be "non-generic" too: namely, it should only
> work on non-Proxy objects.
>
> As the proxies spec stands, non-generic methods applied to proxies will
> just throw TypeError.  This is safe.

That's not how I would expect proxies to interact with
Object.prototype.__proto__.{get,set}. Instead, if we spec mutable
__proto__, I would expect proxies to have a {get,set}PrototypeOf trap, and
the above code snippet would trigger the setPrototypeOf trap.

> However, SpiderMonkey C++ proxies already have a mechanism that makes
> such calls work transparently by default: the nativeCall hook Jeff
> mentioned.  ES proxies might or might not gain a similar mechanism.  If
> they do, the setter call here would be transparently applied to the
> target by default.  The hypothetical __proto__ property check would
> still occur -- on the target, not the proxy.

Yes, this nativeCall hook is on the list of open issues for direct proxies
(I tentatively named it the "applyPrimitive" trap to be more in-line with
the other trap names, but that's open for debate). I intend to bring it up
at next week's meeting. But again, in this specific case, I wouldn't expect
that trap to be called.

Also, if we're discussing changes to the built-in [[Get]] algorithm, don't
forget we have a proposed refactoring on the table that interacts better
with proxies (cf. <
http://wiki.ecmascript.org/doku.php?id=harmony:proto_climbing_refactoring>)
In that refactoring there is no separate [[CanPut]]-walk anymore. I don't
think that has much effect on this discussion though.

Cheers,
Tom