fail-fast object destructuring

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.org
Wed Jul 11 10:06:51 PDT 2012

Russell Leggett wrote:

>     Russell asked about 'length' -- per a previous thread, I thought
>     we agreed that one [[Get]] of 'length' would be done before
>     matching if and only if the array literal contains a spread
>     (covering rest, the dual for a pattern of spread in the array
>     literal corresponding to the pattern).
>

> Yes, I saw this in the proposal algorithm. The reason I ask is because
> it seems odd to have an additional structural requirement in some
> cases but not others. Of course, I understand why, but it sort of
> makes it look like [] implies additional array-like structure in one
> case, but not in another.

You get what you ask for. Pay as you go. Buy by the yard.

Ok, out of clichés but I hope we aren't going to revisit and impose a
mandatory [[Get]] of 'length' on all array destructuring forms. That is
otiose and costly (potentially very).

The presence of ...rest is static syntax, so there's no runtime
maybe/maybe-not hazard.