Fwd: "delay" keyword

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.org
Fri Jul 6 12:58:06 PDT 2012

Boris Zbarsky wrote:
> On 7/5/12 10:37 PM, Brendan Eich wrote:
>> Does the spec really mandate onunload etc. definitely being called in
>> all cases?
>
> Pretty much, yes.  Unless I'm misreading it.
>
>> That is impossible in a great number of cases (machine hard
>> reset, e.g.)
>
> Any sort of hardware limitations get Get Out Of Spec Free cards,
> basically.

And if you take the blue pill and the virtualization Matrix has you?

This is a silly part of the spec. I tried prevailing on Hixie years ago,
to no avail. He had some reductionistic view of "hardware" vs.
"software", but tiered virtualization (hypervisor or just browser VM)
means there must be a way to kill guests cold, without waiting for them
to stall with onunload etc.

>> and anyway it enables DoS attacks.
>
> Yep.  So I doubt anyone will implement the spec on this, if it says
> what I think it does, and then the spec will get changed.

Unimplementable and unimplemented spec is bad spec. Let's fix it.
Suggestions welcome -- and maybe a good cop to my bad cop since I failed
last time?