Fwd: "delay" keyword

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.org
Thu Jul 5 19:37:11 PDT 2012

Boris Zbarsky wrote:
> Note that I say "most".  There are some fundamental problems here.
> Say the user decides to close the tab or window when they get the slow
> script prompt (something that I think is desirable to allow the user
> to do, personally).  Should this close the tab/window without firing
> unload events (a spec violation) or should it fire them while other
> script from the page is on the stack and at some random point in its
> execution (hey, another spec violation)?

Does the spec really mandate onunload etc. definitely being called in
all cases? That is impossible in a great number of cases (machine hard
reset, e.g.) and anyway it enables DoS attacks.

Forgenerators in JS1.7 and up, which have a close method that is called
when the generator is iterated by a for-in loop (for-of in ES6, I
presume), we long ago decided that close may never happen, precisely to
prevent DoS problems (accidental, on purpose, doesn't matter).