Fwd: "delay" keyword

Jussi Kalliokoski jussi.kalliokoski at gmail.com
Thu Jul 5 10:58:42 PDT 2012

On Thu, Jul 5, 2012 at 8:50 PM, Brendan Eich <brendan at mozilla.org> wrote:

> Jussi Kalliokoski wrote:
>
>> Ok, here's the relevant blog post I mentioned writing:
>> blog.avd.io/posts/js-green-**threads<http://blog.avd.io/posts/js-green-threads><
>> http://blog.avd.io/posts/js-**green-threads<http://blog.avd.io/posts/js-green-threads>>
>> . You can discuss / give feedback here or on HackerNews:
>> http://news.ycombinator.com/**item?id=4203749<http://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=4203749>.
>>

> Seems like a bug in Firefox, a violation of HTML5 even. The slow script
> dialog should not allow an event loop to nest. Cc'ing Boris for his opinion
> (this may be a known bug on file, my memory dims with age).

I don't think it's a bug, it seems to meaningful since all the blocking
calls have this behaviour. Looks like SM has stack pausing / continuing in
place as well; why, if not for this? Seems reasonable to me. But if it's a
bug, I'm extremely sorry I haven't filed it, I didn't think it was a bug
when I discovered it around Fx8.

> Chrome doesn't run onmessage when I continue ("Wait") the Kill-or-Wait sad
> tab dialog. Safari and Opera (12) seem not to put up a slow script dialog,
> but perhaps I was impatient (I wanted a minute or so).

Yes, this is Firefox-specific. I've tested all other browsers at my
disposal and they don't have this behavior. Seems like a good idea adding
it though, could make the browsers a lot more responsive regardless of a
few bad websites, and I don't think those websites would break horribly
because of this.

Cheers,
Jussi