Nested Quasis

Allen Wirfs-Brock allen at wirfs-brock.com
Tue Jan 31 15:04:34 PST 2012

On Jan 31, 2012, at 2:36 PM, Waldemar Horwat wrote:

> On 01/28/2012 02:54 PM, Erik Arvidsson wrote:
>> Under the open issues for Quasi Literals,
>> http://wiki.ecmascript.org/doku.php?id=harmony:quasis#nesting , the
>> topic of nesting is brought up.
>>
>> After implementing Quasi Literals in Traceur it is clear that
>> supporting nested quasi literals is easier than not supporting them.
>> What is the argument for not supporting nesting? Can we resolve this?
>
> This has been hashed out in committee before.  Do you have a solution to the grammar problems, such as having a full ECMAScript parser inside the lexer?  You can't just count parentheses because that breaks regexps.

I would think the solution to this is pretty straightforward.  Basically, a Quasi is not a single token.   the grammar in the proposal can almost be read that way right now.   It should only take a little cleanup to factor it into a pure lexical part and a syntactic part. A few [no whitespace here] tokens will probably be needed

Allen